Perhaps I had ambitions to be an MP - or an undertaker!

Saturday, December 3, 2011

WISE MEN SAY

My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people: those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition. - Indira Gandhi

-o-0-o-

JOHN'S GALLERY


A Pair of Shoes, by Vincent Van Gogh (1853-1890)

-o-0-o-

POETRY FOR PLEASURE

DOWN BY THE SALLY GARDENS
W.B.Yeats (1865-1939)

Down by the Sally Gardens, my love and I did meet.
She crossed the Sally Gardens with little snow-white feet.
She bid me take love easy, as the leaves grow on the tree,
But I was young and foolish, and with her did not agree.

In a field down by the river, my love and I did stand,
And on my leaning shoulder, she laid her snow-white hand.
She bid me take life easy, as the grass grows on the weirs
But I was young and foolish, and now am full of tears.

-o-0-o-

TAKE YOUR PARTNERS

This is an outstanding record from 1934 by Ray Noble and his Orchestra. Al Bowlly sings the vocal in "Midnight, the Stars and You." Uploaded by 00Helix00



-o-0-o-

AN 80 PLUS QUOTE

At forty I lost my illusions,
At fifty I lost my hair,
At sixty my hope and teeth were gone,
And my feet were beyond repair,
At eighty life has clipped my claws,
I’m bent, and bowed, and cracked,
But I can’t give up the ghost because
My follies are intact. (E Y.Harburg)

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

No comments: