Perhaps I had ambitions to be an MP - or an undertaker!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

My little piece in last week’s blog DO YOU REMEMBER led me to recall other things pertaining to my boyhood - medicines!!!

I was always needing something to “build me up” and the doctor usually prescribed a bottle of brown stuff. There was of course the occasional dose of syrup of figs or castor oil, and for a while (perhaps in the winter time) we were given a daily spoonful of malt and cod liver oil. There was also emulsion - this was a white thick substance in a bottle and it too was administered in a spoon. I remember something that we called thermogen - it was like a big chunk of pink cotton wool, and it was placed on my chest under my pyjama jacket at bedtime. Perhaps this was used if I had a cold in my chest.

This advert will bring back memories -

Here Kelloggs confidently claim that their product is “A Plateful of Health.”

And now a few health tips from past ages -

The head and feet keep warm,
The rest will take no harm.

Button to chin
Till May be in,
Cast ne’er a clout
Till May be out.

After dinner sit awhile,
After supper walk a mile.

Our fathers who were wondrous wise
Did wash their throats before they washed their eyes.

Use three physicians’ skill - first, Dr Quiet,
Then Dr Merriman and Dr Diet.

He that wants to live for aye
Must eat sage in May.

In health they do abuse
Nature, who Physic use.

Throw physic to the dogs. I’ll none of it! (William Shakespeare)

Better to hunt in fields, for health unbought,
Than fee the doctor for a nauseous draught,
The wise, for cure, on exercise depend;
God never made his work for man to mend. (John Dryden)

And finally an old favourite -

Early to bed, early to rise,
Makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.

-o-0-o-


This is Kindu Kodi Sonovason (Cody) who rules the roost in our daughter Lesley’s home.
He is a basenji, also known as an Egyptian or African dingo.

CODY’S MANTRA

If I like it, it’s mine
If it’s in my mouth it’s mine
If I played with it EVER, it’s mine
If I can take it from you, it’s mine
If it’s mine, it can never be yours
Even if it looks like yours, it’s mine
If you’ve had it, put it down, it’s mine
If I chew it, all the bits are mine
If it was yours, get over it
Because once it’s broken, IT’S YOURS!

-o-0-o-


Hi, it’s me again - Norman the Nerd! Did you know that by December 2010, there were 255,000,000 websites worldwide. We’ll be looking at just a few of them when the new blog COME SURF THE NET begins on Saturday 26th March at - http://comesurfthenet.blogspot.com

-o-0-o-

“I only have eyes for you” was written in 1934 by Harry Warren and Al Dubin. In 1950 it was revived by Peggy Lee and after that the song kept cropping up for the next 20 years or so.
This recording by Ambrose and his Orchestra was made in 1934. Sam Browne is the vocalist.
The video was devised by Richard Hawkey -
http://www.youtube.com/user/SwingBandHeaven



Thanks to http://www.graphicshunt.com for the cartoon image.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

No comments: