Perhaps I had ambitions to be an MP - or an undertaker!

Thursday, January 20, 2011

For a number of years now, I've enjoyed surfing the net and collecting paintings and photographs that I've found there.

Here are three photos taken in the High Street and Saltmarket areas of 19th century Glasgow.







-o-0-o-

My parents were both born in the last decade of the 19th century, and there will undoubtedly have been places in Kirkintilloch just like those shown above.


This photo of my father was probably taken in 1914 when he joined the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

I think it would be around that time when my mother (on the left) was photographed with a friend.


-o-0-o-

BLOG NEWS

This week-end my new site JOHN'S GALLERY begins with 4 paintings by Jan Vermeer, including my favourite "The Girl with the Pearl Earring." Then from Monday onwards I will be adding a painting each week-day.
The address is http://johnsgallery.blogspot.com

The Pre-Raphaelite blog will continue on week-days, Quiet Corner on Tuesdays, The Poetry Path on Wednesdays, and A Touch of Culture on Fridays.

Wise Men Say, which has the biggest following, will achieve a record of sorts next month, for it will have been going for 5 years.

As you can see, all these websites will keep me busy, but something must go and I've decided that today's post on EIGHTY PLUS will be the last.

I always like to finish up with something from YouTube, so here's a record from 1931 - "You're Driving Me Crazy" played by the original BBC Dance Orchestra led by Jack Payne. The vocalist is Val Rosing.



-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-




No comments: