Perhaps I had ambitions to be an MP - or an undertaker!

Monday, April 2, 2012

No.205

WISE MEN SAY

Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something,
and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
(The Dalai Lama)

-o-0-o-

Last week this photo appeared in our local newspaper. Taken in the Council Room of Tom Johnston House, Kirkintilloch, it shows Provost Eric Gotts, with some councillors, and a group of people who had been nominated for the Freedom of Kirkintilloch award. You'll probably have difficulty recognising me in the line-up - I’m in the middle row, third from the right.



The successful nominee was Frank Dunn a retired Consultant Cardiologist at Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow. He is just the seventh person to be given this honour.

In 1931 the first person to be granted the Freedom of the town was Tom Johnston who later became Secretary of State for Scotland during the war in Churchill’s government.

This is the Certificate which was presented to me by the Provost.


-o-0-o-

POETRY FOR PLEASURE

Annie Laurie

[It’s believed that the words of the well-known Scottish song were based on this poem which has been attributed to William Douglas (c.1672-1748)]

Maxwelton braes are bonnie, where early fa's the dew
Where me and Annie Laurie made up the promise true,
Made up the promise true, and ne'er forget will I,
And for bonnie Annie Laurie I'd lay doun my head and die.

She's backit like the peacock, she's breistit like the swan
She's jimp aboot the middle, her waist ye weel may span
Her waist ye weel may span, and she has a rolling eye
And for bonnie Annie Laurie I'd lay doun my head and die.

[She’s backit = she’s endowed with a backside:
She's breistit = she's endowed with breasts:
jimp = slender:
ye weel may span = you could encompass her waist with the span of two hands:
a rolling eye = a "come hither" look]

-o-0-o-

JOHN’S GALLERY


The Young Shepherdess
by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825-1905)

-o-0-o-

Fred Astaire teamed up with Eleanor Powell in The Broadway Melody of 1940 and in this clip, uploaded by silverfastse5, they dance to Cole Porter's "Begin the Beguine."



-o-0-o-

A QUOTE FOR 80 PLUS

I'm very pleased with each advancing year. It stems back to when I was forty. I was a bit upset about reaching that milestone, but an older friend consoled me. "Don't complain about growing old - many people don’t have that privilege."
(Earl Warren)

-o0o-

Today on Piano Playtime
Yuja Wang plays a Chopin Waltz
http://pianoplaytime.blogspot.com

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

No comments: