Perhaps I had ambitions to be an MP - or an undertaker!

Friday, March 23, 2012

No.201

WISE MEN SAY

We learn wisdom from failure much more than from success. We often discover what will do, by finding out what will not do, and probably he who never made a mistake never made a discovery. (Samuel Smiles)

-o-0-o-

JOHN’S GALLERY



The Highland Wedding
by David Allan (1744-1796)

-o-0-o-

POETRY FOR PLEASURE

The 8.15 was almost due,
He had no time to spare,
He licked his face and cleaned his teeth
And combed and brushed his hair.

He gripped his collar savagely
And fumbled with his tie,
Then tried to do his shirt-front up,
No buttons could he spy.

He dashed down to the breakfast room
With curses that could hurt,
“How often have I asked you, girl,
‘Bout buttons on my shirt?”

His little wife said “Oh, but dear,”
“Don’t dear me!” he replied.
“There’s no time to be funny, girl!”
Belinda simply sighed.

“I’m sick to death of telling you
‘Bout buttons on my shirt,
It’s dastardly to treat me thus,
I’m not a lump of dirt!”

His little wife just looked at him,
Her lips began to pout.
“You see, my dear,” she sweetly said,
“Your shirt is inside out!” (Anon)

-o-0-o-

VINTAGE CARDS AND POSTERS


Only a Halfpenny by Adelaide Burgess

-o0o-


A Vintage Greetings card

-o0o-


A Victorian Trade Card

-o0o-


A 1900 poster by Albert Truchet

-o0o-


A Victorian Trade Card

-o0o-


The Gentleman

-o0o-

Thanks to http://www.vintageimages.com for those cards

-o-0-o-

This video, taken by a visitor at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, shows how one patient tries to overcome her incapacity.



Uploaded by OneSnappy

-o0o-

A QUOTE FOR 80 PLUS

As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two. (Norman Wisdom)

-o0o-

Next post here Monday 26th March

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

No comments: