Perhaps I had ambitions to be an MP - or an undertaker!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

No.188

WISE MEN SAY

Moral indignation is just jealousy with a halo around it (H.G.Wells)

-o0o-

THROUGH THE CAMERA LENS


-o0o-

POETRY FOR PLEASURE

When I was Fair and Young
by Queen Elizabeth I (1533-1603)

[This poem has been found in a number of old documents. In one, a note tells that it was written when Elizabeth "was suposed to be in love with mounsyre," her French suitor, the Duke of Anjou. Some modern scholars doubt the authorship, but it’s certainly an interesting little poem.]

When I was fair and young, then favour graced me.
Of many was I sought their mistress for to be,
But I did scorn them all and answered them therefore:
Go, go, go, seek some other where, importune me no more.

How many weeping eyes I made to pine in woe,
How many sighing hearts I have not skill to show,

But I the prouder grew and still this spake therefore:
Go, go, go, seek some other where, importune me no more.

Then spake fair Venus' son, that brave victorious boy,
Saying: You dainty dame, for that you be so coy,
I will so pluck your plumes as you shall say no more:
Go, go, go, seek some other where, importune me no more.

As soon as he had said, such change grew in my breast
That neither night nor day I could take any rest.
Wherefore I did repent that I had said before:
Go, go, go, seek some other where, importune me no more.

-o0o-

JOHN’S GALLERY



Madame Pompadour
by François Boucher (1703-1770)

-o0o-

Married for 62 years, this 90 year old man and his wife have some fun in a piano duet. Uploaded by jodihume



-o0o-

A QUOTE FOR 80 PLUS

In youth we run into difficulties. In old age difficulties run into us.
(Beverly Sills)

-o0o-


In 80 plus there is usually an item MY KIND OF MUSIC. From 1st March this is moving to a new blog 80 PLUS MUSIC MIX, in which I’ll present a variety of YouTube videos which I particularly like.

You can have a look at the new site now at -
http://80plusmusicmix.blogspot.com

The 80 plus blog will continue, normally on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

No comments: