Perhaps I had ambitions to be an MP - or an undertaker!

Friday, February 3, 2012

No.180

WISE MEN SAY

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. (Leo Buscaglia)

-o0o-

THROUGH THE CAMERA LENS



-o0o-
THOSE WERE THE DAYS

This is Agatha Christie’s description of her father’s life in 1900.

“By modern standards my father was a lazy man. It was the days of independent incomes, and if you had an independent income you didn't work. You weren't expected to. I strongly suspect that my father wouldn’t have been particularly good at working anyway.

“He left our house in Torquay every morning and went to his club. He returned in a cab for lunch, and in the afternoon went back to the club, played whist all afternoon, and returned to the house in time to dress for dinner. During the season, he spent his days at the cricket club, of which he was president. He also occasionally got up amateur theatricals.

“He had an enormous number of friends, and loved entertaining them. There was one big dinner party at our home every week, and he and my mother went out to dinner usually another two or three times a week.”

-o0o-

JOHN’S GALLERY



Come unto these yellow sands
by Richard Dadd (1819-1897)

-o0o-

POETRY FOR PLEASURE

Bongaloo
by Spike Milligan

"What is a Bongaloo, Daddy?"
"A Bongaloo, Son," said I,
"Is a tall bag of cheese
Plus a Chinaman's knees
And the leg of a nanny goat's eye."

"How strange is a Bongaloo, Daddy?"
"As strange as strange," I replied.
"When the sun's in the West
It appears in a vest
Sailing out with the noonday tide."

"What shape is a Bongaloo, Daddy?"
"The shape, my Son, I'll explain:
It's tall round the nose
Which continually grows
In the general direction of Spain."

'Are you sure there's a Bongaloo, Daddy?'
"Am I sure, my Son?" said I.
"Why, I've seen it, not quite
On a dark sunny night,
Do you think that I'd tell you a lie?

-o0o-

MY KIND OF MUSIC

This is the 1959 recording of Sidney Bechet‘s “Petite Fleur” played by clarinettist Monty Sunshine (what a great name!) and members of Chris Barber’s Band. Uploaded by bernieb48.



-o0o-

A QUOTE FOR 80 PLUS

None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm.
(Henry David Thoreau)

-o0o-



-o0o-

Next post here Monday 6th February

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

No comments: