Perhaps I had ambitions to be an MP - or an undertaker!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

WISE MEN SAY

If you treat a man as he is, he will stay as he is. However, if you treat him as if he were what he ought to be, and could be, he will become that bigger and better man. -
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


-o-0-o-


The large fountain at Lake Geneva

-o-0-o-

POETRY FOR PLEASURE

THE ABC
Spike Milligan (1918-2002)

'Twas midnight in the schoolroom
And every desk was shut,
When suddenly from the alphabet
Was heard a loud "Tut-tut!"

Said A to B, "I don't like C,
His manners are a lack,
For all I ever see of C
Is a semi-circular back!"

"I disagree," said D to B,
"I've never found C so,
From where I stand he seems to be
An uncompleted O."

C was vexed, "I'm much perplexed,
You criticise my shape,
I'm made like that, to help spell Cat
And Cow and Cool and Cape."

"He's right" said E; said F, "Whoopee!"
Said G, "'Ip, 'Ip, 'ooray!"
"You're dropping me," roared H to G.
"Don't do it please I pray."

"Out of my way," LL said to K.
"I'll make poor I look ILL."
To stop this stunt J stood in front,
And presto! ILL was JILL.

"U know," said V, "that W
Is twice the age of me,
For as a Roman V is five
I'm half as young as he."

X and Y yawned sleepily,
"Look at the time!" they said.
"Let's all get off to beddy byes."
They did, then "Z-z-z."

-o-0-o-

JOHN'S GALLERY

This is the second in this group of paintings by Marco Ricci

Landscape

-o-0-o-

TAKE YOUR PARTNERS

The singer here with Jay Wilbur's Band is Sam Costa, who much later became well-known in ITMA and Much-Binding-in-the-Marsh, and, later still, as a presenter of "Housewives' Choice." The song is "A Fine Romance." Uploaded by razbin.



-o-0-o-

AN 80 PLUS QUOTE

To keep the heart unwrinkled, to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent,
that is to triumph over old age. (Amos Bronson Alcott)

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

No comments: